Saturday, September 18, 2010

Personal Trainers Suck


I just posted a Kijiji ad, (here: http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-services-fitness-personal-trainer-Personal-Trainers-STINK-W0QQAdIdZ230920095)

and sparked this post. its way past my bedtime, but i had to get this off me.

Personal Training, and one of the reasons I am in this industry, has fallen from grace.
There should be a certain esteem to saying "yeah, I am a Personal Trainer"
BUT
There are tons, and I mean TONS of flat out crappy Personal Trainers out there.

I know for a fact that at expertrating.com there is a 70$ personal training certification. and it is EASSSSSY.

Boom, now you're a certified personal trainer. so please, explain the biomechanics behind the squat?
Errrrr...
What?
Exactly

Its ruining my passion. thats why I am here. to sift through all the crap and give you the truth. call me out on the "Mega Marty Method" all you like. I will not waiver what I believe in. when I post something on here, its not JUST anecdotal, its (for the most part) scientific, and based upon results, health and safety.

This is where the business gets lost. They're fresh off the boat with their certification, and now they're applying for jobs/training.

I honestly could care LESS how much formal education you have.
CPT, CSCS, Kinesiology degree, blah blah blah.

what do you KNOW?

can you take what you have read and use it in the real world? can you make someone safe? can you diet someone without putting them into the hospital?

They don't teach the most important part: how to deal with clients, how to implement the proper changes, how to treat PEOPLE.

Am I angry? sure. a bit. BUT
I know that I am making a difference. eventually, people will see what I'm doing and say "hey, that guy with the wild blonde hair isn't as crazy as he looks"

Nutrition?
HAHAHAHAHHAA
don't get me STARTED on what most Personal Trainers recommend for nutrition. the coverage in most certifications is trash to say the best. they promote pretty much the Canada's food guide.
Right.

I have not lost hope, nor am I saddened by the current state of affairs. its motivates me to bring you guys what the truth is. you'll have to sift through my reckless writing style to get to it however.

I felt this was needed to be said. most trainers really have no idea about program design, monitoring, what to do if you have an injury, how often you should be training, what type/amount of cardio you should be doing, when to adjust your workout/nutrition program, anything and everything.

Yes, trainers either google or look into the latest magazine or TV show for what to do. they know just slightly more than the client. and its embarrassing to see.

You have NO IDEA how many of my clients/potential clients tell me what I'm telling them is unlike everything they've ever heard, from either trainers, books, magazines, TV shows. the most important clients are the ones that come to me from other trainers. to see their progress, or lack there of, and then have their eyes be blown wide open with the "Mega Marty Method"

I know this was long, and if you have a Personal Trainer, CONSTANTLY ASK THEM WHY.
If they don't know, I'd fire them on the spot (unless the question is ludicrous and out of the scope of the trainer).

No comments:

Post a Comment