Monday, September 27, 2010

Anecdotal Evidence


So yes, We must rely on science in this industry as much as we can. But, from the people I have learned from, whether its fitness professionals, or my very own clients, there are many things that flat out make me raise an eyebrow if not two at the same time.

You know what I'm talking about. these things that just have no flat out explaination, but yet seem to occur all the time... with a LOT of people, enough that I/you can't pawn it off saying "oh, thats just a rare occurrence"

I'm going to share today my own ramblings, things that I feel no one really discusses, and that there is no "science" to back up, but maybe I'm crazy enough to be onto something...

1) Men over thirty hit the wall.

I have had I do not KNOW how many men that I train/have trained that come into my office during their interview, and state something along the following lines.
"I looked great/had muscle/didn't have to worry about my weight until I got to 35"
Like clockwork. the man who coasted through on genetics, drinking, eating, doing whatever he wanted without any/very little effort nutritionally/physically has hit the wall at 35. yes, some people hit it before that, but I've seen too many clients 35, 38, 42 or whatever age, to have it be ignored.

what i think: it might have to do with the dip in testosterone, or a mid life crisis, or a combination. stress can get to a guy, and finally cause his body to physically rebel.

2) Women hit the wall as early as 19.

Yes, its dramatically different for most women. I have trained women from all over in terms of age, and everytime its around 19-22ish where it "all went downhill". they looked good/great in highschool, and now its gone. that early.

what i think: this one is coupled with the next one

3) stress, any amount, KILLS a woman's weight loss/physical goals.

Yep, everytime where I've scratched my head, and said to myself "wow this one i don't quite get" and their adherence is bang on, haven't missed a weight session, a meal, a cardio session, sleep is awesome...I've asked "are you stressed? at all?"
and sure enough, "well...kinda" usually comes out. this one to me is very "witch doctorish" in terms of the profound effect. I have had ladies go on vacation, eat like TRASH (that were NOT overtrained) and come back LOSING weight. no, they didn't under ear or drink so much booze it flushed them, but they were RELAXED. and then, as soon as they jump RIGHT back into their program... the FAT (not weight) falls off... it really is mind blowing...

4) weight/fat loss is not linear.

This one is pretty strange too. I personally have held a weight for 2-3 weeks straight... then, without changing a thing, boom. 1-2 lbs a week (up if gaining, down if losing). same thing for women. I believe we must have some kind of threshold, something along the lines of a dam. the more things that build up on the dam, the more pressure, then WHAM the dam breaks and the weight loss/gain flies down/up.

5)Genetics are paramount.

This is very self explanatory, but you cannot look like person x, and they cannot look like you. make YOURSELF bigger/stronger/faster/fitter/BETTER.

6)The more muscular you are naturally, the more injury prone you are.

this one also strange. most mesomorphs (the kids who don't work hard to have a lot of muscle/little fat) hurt themselves more. little tweaks here and there. maybe someone can help me out on this one... just I've seen it too much to have it be ignored.

7) Birth control's effects on weight loss/physical goals are insane.

yes, I've had people with a genuine LOVE of food...hate food. I've had people lose weight during their menstrual only to gain it back when its done. I've had vice versa. I've had moods altered, dispositions changed, goals changed, all revolving around/the cause of being a switch in Birth control. we need to study these medications MUCH more...

That's it for now, I'll think of more and come back to share more. definitely some "but i've tried it all, what do i do?" things to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Daryle and I once had a lengthy conversation on which body type was “tougher”. Which ones could withstand the most punishment, pain tolerance, run from a dinosaur the longest etc, etc.

    From what I recall he said that Meso’s more or less excelled at doing a few trained specific muscle functions. I.E whatever they chose to develop they would excel in. But as soon as you brought them out of what they were used to doing their bodies would not do so well compared to other body types.

    He also said that when he’s working on Meso’s they tend to be wimps compared to other body types.

    That’s more or less what I can remember from the conversation without putting too many words into his mouth. I’m sure if you can convince him to post on here he can fill you in a bit better on these theories.

    BUT while I’m posting I have deduced my own theory.

    It is that Endo’s and Meso’s are wimps and Ectomorphs will one day rule the world. IE. China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where the heck did you get that Endo's are whimps? ask him about my pain threshold. I'm severely endo, probably 70% and MAYBE 30% meso, at best.

    ReplyDelete