Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Individualization Part 1: Training


So, everyone is looking for the custom program, the right program,
actually, lets call it the "perfect program" (PP) for them.

who wouldn't want the PP just for them, the one that's going to take them to the level that they want to be at?
the one that is going to get them there the quickest?
On top of this, however, is a whole other issue which people seem to always blindly forget, which is safety. I'll write about that at another time.

So, how do you know what the PP is? how do you obtain it? will a trainer tell you it? Will the latest issue of womans/mens health tell you?

Maybe. Possibly. Yes, this is my answer to a LOT of questions, but here is my lengthy response.

THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN FINDING YOUR PP (wow that just sounds wrong and hilarious)

1) joint/tendon issues/injuries

This is very, VERY important. If you've ever been told or know that you have tight rotators, but believe the behind the neck press is beneficial, weigh out the pros and cons. this is MURDER on someone with bad rotators and terrible form. figure out what you have injured, and REALLY give it an unbiased opinion. saying "its fine" won't cut it. people have amazing compensation powers. this is why people squat with bad form, and don't feel it in their knees until years later. exact same with car crashes. years later, pain. make sure you don't put the cart before the horse. get it figured out, and fixed. if it can be just strengthened, fantastic. if it needs work, then go to a competent massage therapist. I have found through my studies that someone doing Trigger Point Therapy is the answer for almost all of non-tear pains. If you live in Red Deer, Alberta, come see me and I'll tell you whom to go see for this.

2) What sports you played in your life

Yes, this is anecdotal, but it has panned out in every case I've found. If you played volleyball, all that jumping is likely to have done a number on your legs somewhere. If you played baseball, your rotators are probably tight, or are imbalanced, or both.
take a look at this knowledge, and try to remember what muscles either hurt, or felt "the burn" in more, or felt as if they did "all the work" this WILL help.

3) what have you done in the past that you didn't feel (in the specific muscle group you're intending to work) or felt in another muscle group.

This will say a lot as well, some people (like myself) have MANY structural problems, posture wise, minute muscle group wise, that impedes us from reaching to what others comes naturally. This is awful, because you can look over at the guy/girl doing curls, and their bicep is working perfectly without much thought, but when you preform them, you feel it in your shoulders, or worse (like me) your tricep. what the...? exactly.

4) Bone structure/limb length.

Yes, I believe in squats like crazy. they're my number one. I'm probably the last person that should be doing them due to my silly leg to torso length (my legs are much, MUCH longer than my torso). so, this causes a lot of torque on my lower back from me having to stick my butt out much further than someone with shorter legs, and cause excessive roundind of my lower back, and forward bending. take this into consideration, where some exercises/machines just flat out won't work for you.

5)how long have you been training? are you lifting or training?

exactly. some people are on cruise control. they're in there, lifting, no real goal, just happy to be there. that is MORE THAN FINE! but don't expect results passed where you've gotten. if something isn't working, don't keep it (mind you if it doesn't work, think about technique, and how long you've been doing it before completely writing it off). train smarter, not harder. if your arms aren't growing, don't do more. we've been over that. its overtraining.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. so how do you determine all of these things ?

Hire someone competent (MEGA MARTY! SHAMELESS, SHAMELESS PLUG!) to assess you. I do a lot of exercises with my clients that are the same. why? because I know what is the most beneficial to the client. I have put them on my "ideal" machines/exercises and seen if they're ready for them, based upon those guidelines I've just mentioned. many, many people are flat out too weak to squat even themselves. many, many people can't even hold the 5 lb dumbbells due to their stabilization muscles aren't developed AT ALL!
Hopefully you can find someone to help you out with this.

Remember, question everything, but do not overthink it into oblivion either. there is a fine, fine line.

Also, some of the routines in Oxygen, Mens/womens health, or any other magazine might not be all that bad. but if you're preforming them incorrectly, then yes, the could be awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment