Saturday, October 30, 2010

Supplements


The original Intent of this blog was for me to review supplements. As you can plainly see that didn't happen. why?
1) there are a ton out there
2) i had a lot of great response following my initial informative posts.

so...

here we are!

so, what when how why supplements???

I'm not a big fan of supplements. working in the industry for a long time, taking quite a few myself, going to university for chemistry for 3 years, reading various reviews/references/studies have all brought me to the following conclusions:

1) Most are horribly overpriced
2) Most are horribly underdosed with the main/proper/effective ingredients
3) Most are overdosed with crap ingredients
4) Most have zero backing of science/studies THAT RELATE TO HUMANS

This is what makes me angry. seriously, what works is usually banned within a bit due to a few people getting way to out of hand.

people say "well, if fat burner X did this, if i take 234289923 X the does, i'll get THAT much more results!"
and now we have a heart attack, or something similar, along with them consuming who knows what else (narcotics, other prescriptions, a horrendous diet, etc)
and BOOM. supplement is illegal/banned.

so, what works Mega Marty?
arg, FINE I'll start doing what I was going to do all along. lets start with a

MULTIVITAMIN!

So yes, a multivitamin. why? think of it as nutritional insurance. to make sure that you have everything JUST IN CASE something could be low. almost like a force field for your immune system too. nothing sucks worse than when you are trying to lose/gain weight if you get sick and the exact opposite happens.
so, as with everything, where is the science? the backing up?
That is NOT what this blog is for. if you would like references and all that fun stuff that no one here really wants anyways, search for it. That's all i have to say on that.

What have i found that works? I really like the following

1) Garden of life Multis. (all of their products period are fantastic)
2) Universal Nutrition's Animal Pak
3) Controlled Lab's Orange Triad
4) True Protein's 3-A-Day.

these ones should do the trick. are there other good ones? sure. but these ones hands down I've seen the research and real world evidence that I personally need to be able to put my stamp of approval on.

Suggested dosing:

1 "serving" in the morning with breakfast, water/salt/electolytes with it.
If/When dieting hard, I'd have another "dose" at last meal of day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment