Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm a jerk.


what else is new huh?

but yes, I have been called a jerk. many times. and guess what?

I welcome it. why?

When it comes to people and their fitness goals, once you've been around the block aka:
1) program is sound
2) nutrition is sound
3) cardio is sound
4) passed the beginner stage of everything (nutrition and weight lifting technique)

then I'm going to be a BIT more harsh with you. what does that mean?

its going into my post I had earlier about people being "in shape" and what it means. aka what looking good on the competitive stage does vs/ looking good for the beach.

so, when most people, would congratulate, I try to find what we can do better.

now, if you're brand new to all of this, I'm not going to beat you into the ground. of course not that is foolish, unwarranted, and undeserving. BUT

once you are passed this "intro" phase, which is usually decided by myself and the client/gym goer, things that were allowed to slide, now are an issue.
aka:

1)missing a day of cardio
2)meal plan flub ups
3)silly mistakes in technique.
4)repetition of questions.


these are examples. so yes, I've been called a jerk.

when someone thinks that they're doing GREAT on their meal plan, and I pick out something that they're doing wrong, they feel that I am a jerk.

why isn't he praising what I did? why is he picking at me? what did i do so bad for him to attack me?

I will NEVER attack you as a person. that is foolish and that is going to get nobody anywhere. BUT

I have found that excessive positive reinforcement, aka congratulating EVERY little thing (once again, this is PASSED THE INTRO PHASE) is very harmful to the development of goals.

people tend to go backwards, and starting thinking they're going great, so things can slide. Pizza here is fine. beer there is fine. missing a workout/cardio isn't the end of the world.

depends on where you are. in the INTRO PHASE(really trying to drive this home) maybe it won't effect you.

BUT

lets say you've come very far, and you want a push.

Don't expect me to stand by while you sabotage your results. I am hired to help you, and have ONLY YOUR BEST INTERESTS IN MIND.

If you can't do it, don't want to give the effort, or can't sacrifice some things, then thats MORE THAN FINE. don't expect change.

so yes, I can be a jerk if you really believe so. But its only in your perception. I am here to help. to make you better. to push you positively. when I know you are capable of better, I will tell you so. I will not demean you as a person, I will simply state the obvious, and sometimes the not so obvious.

expect this to be hard.

you're hungry? -> duh. that's expected.
you're tired? -> duh. that's expected.
that's too much weight on there! I can't do it! -> right. because I purposely try to make my clients fail and put weight on a machine/exercise that would hurt them.
I don't have energy! -> really? I thought you would have your tank full ALL the time when trying to lose fat.
What types of food are protein again? -> you're kidding, right?

once we've covered topics, more advanced things can ensue, of course. I have tons and tons and tons and tons of patience. I really do.

But, if you ask a question more than a couple of times and it doesn't sink in... don't expect me to be too impressed when you ask it.

so yes.

I am a jerk.

1 comment:

  1. Ummmmm I think you skipped the intro phase with me all together my first day saying "get on the scale or get out of my office" heehee, but you and I both know that is the ONLY way that will work for me. I wouldn't have you any other way (even the days I leave a few inches "shorter" lol) You're not a mean jerk. You are an effective one. Don't ever change (even on the days you about bring me to tears :) I know your motives behind it and hurting your client (me) isn't it) Thanks for being a jerk. Not many are gutsy and care enough to be one

    ReplyDelete