Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Consistency versus Insanity


Here we go, this has to be said. This is going to be in true Mega Marty style. No holds barred.

So.

The definition that I like to use of insanity is the same that Einstein used.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

This is what I'll be referring to for the rest of this post.

Now, we are told that consistency will make results happen, and will prevail in the end.

But, how long before consistency becomes insanity? How long before you should change it up? Before you should revamp what you're doing?

As most of you know, Mega Marty likes trick questions. Which this one half is.

YOU shouldn't be revamping anything yourself. Even I do not revamp things without the consults of liked minded people in my field, or if it isn't pertaining to fitness, I seek the wisdom of others to view my situation.

For the purposes of this blog obviously we're going with fitness/nutrition.

How long have you been doing this?
Are you revamping/reviewing too soon?
How do you know when to revamp?
Is what you're doing even goal oriented?

Most of you should have read my "Personal Trainers Suck" post. I still firmly stand behind that post.

My answer:

In the middle, as always.

Here are even better questions:

Have you given the new workout/nutrition plan/cardio plan/supplement plan an HONEST "go"?
Are you expecting magic in a week?
Did you revamp, or did Mega Marty or someone like minded revamp?
Have you had a forced switch ?


--And lets tackle that last one right now.
I honestly believe, especially when it comes to the way people look, I CAN HELP everyone IF...IF IF IF IF!!! they're willing to do what I prescribe. Sometimes it's too much, and I understand. Life gets in the way. Work. Stress. Kids. etc. I understand.

A forced switch is something along the lines of :
Work switch. new stress = new routine, new everything.
Financial switch- now you can't go back to your trainer (we're not generally cheap) and thus forced to switch on your own.
Goal switch- someone's asked you to do a marathon and you say "Hey I wanna do that!" and therefore things should be different (assuming physique was a goal).

Here is a tricky one that I've heard complaints with before:

Trainer/nutritionist switch - 2 types for this:
a) You're fed up with lack of results with your professional and therefore forced yourself out into someone new, or out period.
b) Your trainer isn't available at the time you need him/her, and now you're with someone new, either permanently or for "a bit"

Option B causes MASSIVE problems. Yes, there are many ways to get you to your goal. Most people will tell you that Mega Marty has vastly different views from your bosu ball wielding fitness professionals you see out there. Even they will vary slightly.
For instance, when I meet a new client whom of which has been with another trainer/nutritionist, I ask them for what they are/were doing.

Here's the funniest thing: some people believe I'm trying to "steal" other's methods such as Herbal Magic, Weight Watchers, etc.

Sorry to break your hearts, but those whom I learn from are not local, nor a multinational corporation only interested in your money.

I need it to see what you were doing, and see when/where/why/how it stopped working. If i don't know where you were, I can only guess. The less guesswork, the better.

So, I have to interpret what someone else was doing, try to understand their methodology, and go from there. This is what the trainer switch is attempting.

Personally, I hate the forced trainer switch (not of your accord, option B) because I feel its very undermining, confusing, and flat out detrimental to someone's progress. There are circumstances ie personality conflicts which require a new person to work with, but outside of select circumstances, this shouldn't be occurring.

SO

Let's recap:

1) consistency is needed, but should be monitored by someone(s) qualified to do so.
2) forced switches will occur, and should be minimized if at all possible if your fitness goal is a high priority.

To answer some of the questions I've asked up top as best as I can, when does consistency fail?

If NOTHING has happened in 2ish weeks, something should be revamped.

I personally like revamping diet first. so that is where I naturally look as a professional.

What could/should have happened?
As I've mentioned before, strength going up, fat going down, total weight loss/gain, etc etc.

2 ish weeks should yield SOME KIND of results.

This is where a pro comes in handy. I have had numerous numerous numerous occasions where people say "I'm not seeing any results" in 2 weeks or so, and I smile and ask "Are you going by just your weight?" and they usually say "well, yeah."
No matter how many people I educate, tons more are being baffled into thinking the scale is the end all be all.

ANYWAYS :)

Want to know my big big big secret?

Strength.

If someone's meal plan is the same
cardio is the same
routine is the same
strength is going up.

Change WILL OCCUR. This is where consistency IS A MUST AND WILL PREVAIL!!!

This has happened NUMEROUS TIMES!!!

I'll do a caliper reading... and BAM... bodyfat lost, scale weight the same.

Sorry folks, calipers don't lie because I'm the one doing them.

Or measurements. I've had numerous males that wear baggy clothes that can't "see/feel a difference" but when measurements/bodyfat measurement comes, down. arms go up.

"oh... huh that's pretty good eh?"

yes... yes it is.

Insanity?

When everything has stalled.

Yet you're changing nothing.

Expecting some miracle to come and ZAP you have results!

Errrrr no.

Strength same
cardio same
diet same
routine/work same.

No results.

No kidding really? I would've thought otherwise. (sarrrrcasssmmmmmm)

This was long, and confusing I know, but it has to be said.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, and a pro says "yeah, that looks broke to me too" then fix it.

Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment