Saturday, May 21, 2011

Get A Trainer


Here comes a shameless, shameless plug. Mega Marty. There, now for the post!

As I have written, I don't care much for personal trainers. If you believe you have found a good one, keep him/her.

In my brief bio, I was in grade 11 when I first personally started lifting weights. Now, I have a pretty good memory so I remember a lot of my workouts, ranging from 16 years old to now at 25.

Here is the point.

I would have saved money, and gotten quicker, better, more sustainable results with a seasoned personal trainer/nutritionist.

I spent so much money on crap supplements, as always, attempting to make me bigger and leaner all at once. What got leaner was my wallet, and what got bigger was my hate for supplement claims.

The amount of time I took researching, and researching, and researching the perfect program was insane. I was trying to formulate some new, perfect workout program/scheme for me, because obviously me, being 16, knew more than all of the current professionals I listen to. Because of course, I knew more than them.

Here is the blog, finally after that introduction.

Hire a trainer.

Suck all the information out of him/her that is going towards your goal.
I tell my clients all the time "If I can't answer your question, and I don't find out very quickly the answer, I'd fire me in an instant."
That saying holds true to this day.

Program design is a big part.
Nutrition is a big part.
Timing/rest/recovery is a big part.

But as I went over in my last blog on consistency, who is monitoring it?

I tell all of my clients in the initial assessment that I am very strongly against training a beginner, or almost anyone for that matter, for less than a month.

Why? I can't do the work for you. Between the two of us, we need to come up with a way to teach you so that you'll learn, be able to preform the exercises on your own, with proper technique. This is not simple for most people. This requires work on both of our parts.

Also, nutritionally, this is very hard to do. In my very strong belief, training/programming is peanuts in comparison to nutrition. Nutrition requires much more work for the coach than training ever will, and I mean this in the sense of taking what someone is doing, have it work for them, adjust it accordingly, with health, performance, and body composition in mind.

I would have saved myself roughly 5 years of "fooling around" in the gym and be much, much closer to my goals if I had have hired a trainer.

I've mentioned this many, many times and I will do so again: I have a trainer, and for the rest of my interest in bodybuilding/nutrition/fitness, I will have one. To me, the money is VERY well spent, and the education from people in my field I highly respect is priceless.

If you want a full time trainer, and have the means to have one on one personal training, definitely do so.
you accomplish the following, assuming the trainer is Mega Marty approved:
-move more weight safely than you would by yourself
-be astonishingly more accountable
-have near perfect workouts
-zero guesswork on your part
-constant monitoring of progress
-goals be reached much quicker
-obtain ACTUAL supplement advice that WORKS

This is, of course, the dream.

But regardless of your endeavor for fitness, take it from me, do NOT attempt to read every magazine, every website, watch every TV program etc and expect to be able to do this on your own.

If you can read a book, and come in and teach yourself how to squat perfectly without assistance of anyone else, call me. I want you to train me.

No comments:

Post a Comment