Friday, May 13, 2011

Dr. oz, The Doctors, and other Exercise/nutrition related TV shows


ahhhhhhhhhh yes.

it is growing sadly, especially amongst my new clients.

the ludicrous questions, or even statements, that comes from one of the following 3 primary sources:
1) TV show called "The Doctors"
2) TV show called "Dr. Oz"
3) TV show called "The biggest loser"

These shows are making my job....er.....well:
interesting
infuriating
hilarious
painful
saddening
more work

but most importantly, much more needed.

I'm going to be frank and short here in this post. I honestly can't believe some of the flat out CRAP that these shows lay onto the general public. want to know the funniest thing to me?

I haven't seen an episode of any of these shows.

but the advice these people are giving are insane. to dumb it down:

1) these shows are focusing on superfoods. Remember Opera recommending the Acai Berry? even today people are thinking that if they consume a serving or some amount of this Acai Berry, they're magically losing fat, bettering their health, getting antioxidants (which people have no idea what they are/do), etc.
2) Scaring them from things that they shouldn't be. they are sadly ruling out fantastic things such as certain exercises, types of exercise, certain foods/groups, or even mis categorizing some supplements.
3) creating their own fads (not unlike the Acai berry). I wonder if these are profit driven or not?

and more specifically at the biggest loser,
4)recommending/showing people ridiculously intricate/unsafe exercises that the general public either want to try or believe they can accomplish, let alone the unrealistic expectations for weight/fat losses

some of the questions are crazy, as in
"I've heard that if i walk 5 times per week, because of my age, I'll lose fat and gain muscle?"
"They said not to take multi vitamins as they are toxic for me"
"The people on biggest loser are running, shouldn't I be running then?"
"For women I've heard to ditch my carbs, is this right?"

I'm not getting into it anymore than this, but I will say the following definitive statements:

-some of the things they say MIGHT have merit, but the general public WILL misconstrue what they are saying to over exaggerated levels.
-all of their stuff has to be taken with a BIG grain of salt.
-I wouldn't trust any "doctor/physician" with nutrition at all. Most of them know briefly what will take you from sick to "fine/normal" nothing about performance or to improve upon "fine/normal"
-ask people more educated people in the nutrition/fitness field ( Mega Marty ) for their opinion. hopefully someone that has a track record, and Has been doing this line of work with lots of success.
-do not just go off of their word/suggestion solely. I actually implore you to gather questions and do your own research (that includes asking someone you trust/is more knowledgeable)

That is all. For more information on the biggest loser, Lyle McDonald has summed it up MUCH better than myself. Copy and post this link into your window.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/biggest-loser-feedback.html

No comments:

Post a Comment